D.L. & W. railroad station at North Brookfield, Madison County, N.Y.
By Richard Palmer
The days of railroad development in upstate New York had not quite subsided in 1888 when the Unadilla Valley Railroad was conceived and eventually built between New Berlin and Bridgewater, a distance of 19 miles. Finally completed in 1895, it connected with the New York, Ontario
& Western, on the south, with the Utica branch of the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western to the north.
During its early stages several routes were proposed for the Unadilla Valley line and numerous meetings were held in various communities.