Posts

Showing posts from January, 2011

How the 'Hojack' Got its Name

Image
The original station in Liverpool was located a few hundred yards north of what is now Heid's, on the east side of the tracks.



Old "Hojack" depot at Brewerton stood a short distance south of bridge over the Oneida river.





Central Square station is now a museum of the Central New York Chapter, National Railway Historical Society. It once served both the New York Central and the New York, Ontario & Western.
Where Did the Term "Hojack" Originate?  By Richard Palmer    Although the rail lines north of Syracuse, both abandoned and existing, have passed ownership from Rome, Watertown & Ogdensburg to New York Central, to Penn Central, to Conrail and finally CSX, this railroad has from time immemorial, been known as the "Hojack." The origin of this title seems to be lost in the mists of antiquity.

Memories of the Chenango Branch

Image
Here is CNYMOD member Russ Grills' award winning Cazenovia module
passengers wait for the next train to Manlius and Syracuse.


Chenango Branch station in 1910



    The successful building of the Syracuse & Chenango Valley Railroad during the post-Civil War era followed a previously failed attempt to bring rail transportation to the upland regions of central New York between Syracuse and Earlville.

The legend of Phoebe Snow

Image
Binghamton Press June 24, 1931
Phoebe Snow Still Remains in Public Mind            _______       Name Used by Lackawanna     21 Years Ago to Advertise Road            _______        DEPICTED CLEANLINESS            _____    Series of Jingles Built Around      Character by Colton            ____     "It beats all how an impression lasts with people."      J.L. Smith, division passenger agent for the Lackawanna railroad, was talking to a visitor in his office in The Press Building.

Remembering Vanderbilt Square Station

Image

Eastbound Empire State Express in 1905, in Syracuse

Image
Looking west at the intersection of East Washington, East Genesee and Montgomery Streets.  At left is the Yates Hotel, now a parking lot for Key Bank.  At right is the S.A.& K. Building, still standing, with Onondaga Bank in the background.