Saturday, October 6, 2012

Old Stock Certificate

(Note: This was a short-lived railroad that was built on wooden rails from Carthage to Natural Bridge in 1868)



Utica Division, Lackawanna Railroad


 Notes on the History of the Utica, Chenango & Susquehanna Valley Railroad
                           Compiled by Richard F. Palmer

Sherburne News, Thurs., Jan. 23, 1868

Utica, Chenango & Susquehanna Valley Rail Road.

          President Lawrence has just issued his Annual Report of the
condition of our Road, of which the following is a condensation:
"The amount of Capital Stock now subscribed  is $1,316,000. At the present date the Treasurer has received $978,134.25, and $871,178.20, for which we have a little over 21 miles of road in good running order, one and one half miles of branches, three first-class engines, three first-class passenger cars, one baggage, fifteen platform, and ten box cars.
"We have at Utica a good engine-house, with capacity for four engines, with a machine and repair shops attached, 250 feet long by 34 feet wide, all of brick; also a good freight house and office 110 feet by 20 feet. Thirty feet of the east end of this building is two stories high, the upper story being fitted up for our Chief Engineer.

New York & Oswego Midland Railroad Depot at Oriskany Falls, 1870s

Photo taken between 1876 and 1882 shows a train with a DL&W engine at a time when the Utica, Clinton & Binghamton division of t...