Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Old time New York Central train at Little Falls


Shown at Little Falls is New York Central engine #491 was built at Schenectady Locomotive Works,  July, 1854 construction number #88 and became NYC #55. Rebuilt in 1868 and Re# 491 in 1877 and sold July, 1890. Drivers 66", 15” x 22”  cylinders, rebuilt with 16” x 22”,  was a woodburner as built, probably to coal in 1868. Notice the air pump, probably put on some time in the 70's.  That combine car looks to be from the 50's or 60's, judging by the curve of the roof and short clerestory.  Photo taken in the 1880s.

Some Lehigh Valley Railroad Scenes








Locomotive shop at Sayre, 1975



 Train at Caywood, N.Y., 1974



Freshly panted caboose at Sayre,  1975

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Marion River Carry Railroad, Aug. 25, 1927


    The Marion River Carry was originally a portage around the rapids in the Marion River to Utowana Lake in the central Adirondack region of New York State. The carry was shortened by a dam, that raised the level of the river and then by the Marion River Carry Railroad. At 1,320 yards or 7-8ths of a mile it was the shortest standard-gauge railroad line in the United States.There is a detailed, animated, three-dimensional model of the carry railroad at the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake. 
    The Marion River played an important part in the development of the central Adirondacks. Both Blue Mountain Lake and Raquette Lake were acquired by Thomas Clark Durant, developer of the Union Pacific Railroad, as part of the building of the Adirondack Railway to North Creek in the 1870s.
    Durant, his son, William West Durant, and other family members built hotels and great camps on both lakes. W.W. Durant dammed the river at the Utowana end in 1879, and operated a sawmill there; this also allowed steamboats to travel most of its length. This was followed in 1900 by the Marion Carry Railroad, which operated until 1929. Efforts to save one of the steam locomotives from the railroad in 1947 led to the creation of the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake, where one engine may still be seen.  Due to its location, the little railroad connected with steamboats at both ends.

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Lehigh Valley Railroad Photos


Train at Elmira, NY



Eastbound milk train, Coxton, Pa.


Easton, Pa.


On turntable at Easton, Pa.

Old time 2-8-0



Westbound Black Diamond, Sayre, Pa.


Last westbound Black Diamond, Sayre, Pa., May 11, 1958.




Eastbound Black Diamond, Manchester, N.Y., 1954.



Lehighton, Pa., 1958.




Postcard view of Geneva station, ca. 1908



First train into Van Etten.


East Ithaca


Canastota

Rippleton, south of Cazenovia, where Lehigh Valley and New York Central
Chenango branch crossed



South Bay



Lehigh Valley #133 at Cortland
"Maple Leaf" at Newark, N.J., 1960

No. 1133 at Auburn, 1930s.




No. 214 at Sayre, 1972



RDC#40 at Hazleton, Pa., 1950s.





Erie Railroad Stations, Circa 1910



Canoe Camp, Pa.



Trowbridge, Pa.


Trowbridge, Pa.



Jackson Summit, Pa.



Tioga Junction, Pa.


Tioga, Pa.


Lambs Creek, Pa.


Binghamton



Hornell


Hornell


Salamanca (destroyed by arsonists, 2014)



Henry Street, Elmira


Seeley Creek, Pa.

                                      
                                                  Millerton, Pa.



Mansfield, Pa.