Posts

Showing posts from May, 2016

West Shore R.R. at Savannah, looking northeast

Image

West Shore Station and Freighthouse at Weedsport

Image

Grasse River Railroad Timetable

Image

New York & Oswego Midland Auburn Branch

Image
One of the most interesting segments of the New York & Oswego Midland Railroad was the Auburn Branch which meandered westward over hill and dale through the countryside some 85 miles from Norwich to Scipio Summit, south of Auburn. It passed through such places as Plymouth, Beaver Meadow, Otselic Center, DeRuyter, and on to Cortland. It operated via trackage rights over the Utica, Ithaca & Elmira Railroad from Cortland to Freeville, then struck out on its own in a northwest direction.   This “Western Extension” was originally intended to be built to Buffalo  Ultimately the Midland went into the hands of receivers on September 19, 1873. A multitude of both financial and operating problems resulted in the entire line being shut down on February 27, 1875 for several months. The Auburn branch was also closed down until April 1, 1875 when the UI&E RR leased and operated it for a year, until May 1, 1876, when the Midland was able to resume operation on its own.    Since 1872, th…