This is a post-card view of a train on the three-foot narrow gauge Altoona & Beech Creek Railroad about 1908, which operated during the late 19th and early 20th century.
It carried passenger traffic up from the vicinity of Altoona to Wopsononock and coal and timber down from Wopsononock and Doughty to Altoona. Originally constructed to develop coal mines and resort traffic atop the Allegheny Plateau, it became involved in a complicated and ultimately unsuccessful scheme to break the Pennsylvania Railroad's control over the Clearfield coal region. Never very profitable, it went through several reorganizations, the last in 1913. It was converted to standard gauge in 1916, but was unprofitable and abandoned in 1919. It was eventually about 12 miles long.