Saturday, October 6, 2012

Woodburners on the Auburn Road



Ancient Auburn & Rochester Railroad 4-2-0 "Providence" acted as a yard engine into the 1860s.  Scene is at Auburn, with prison in background and old station, built in 1841, at left.



Retired Engineman Tells of Early Days of
Old Wood Burners on Auburn Road

(From the Auburn Citizen, June 8, 1928)'
Recounting stories of railroading in days of old on the Auburn road, John R. Burke, native Auburnian now residing in Newark, tells an interesting tale in the New York Central Magazine.
Mr. Burke, who began his career 51 years ago, starting with the New York Central 11 years later came unharmed through the early days of primitive equipment and was retired as engineman on the Syracuse Division early this year. His reminiscences follow:
Born December 11, 1857, at Auburn, N.Y., and brought up there, I entered the service of the New York Central Railroad in November, 1872, on the old Auburn work train.

Old Stock Certificate

(Note: This was a short-lived railroad that was built on wooden rails from Carthage to Natural Bridge in 1868)



Utica Division, Lackawanna Railroad


 Notes on the History of the Utica, Chenango & Susquehanna Valley Railroad
                           Compiled by Richard F. Palmer

Sherburne News, Thurs., Jan. 23, 1868

Utica, Chenango & Susquehanna Valley Rail Road.

          President Lawrence has just issued his Annual Report of the
condition of our Road, of which the following is a condensation:
"The amount of Capital Stock now subscribed  is $1,316,000. At the present date the Treasurer has received $978,134.25, and $871,178.20, for which we have a little over 21 miles of road in good running order, one and one half miles of branches, three first-class engines, three first-class passenger cars, one baggage, fifteen platform, and ten box cars.
"We have at Utica a good engine-house, with capacity for four engines, with a machine and repair shops attached, 250 feet long by 34 feet wide, all of brick; also a good freight house and office 110 feet by 20 feet. Thirty feet of the east end of this building is two stories high, the upper story being fitted up for our Chief Engineer.