Friday, December 22, 2023

Female Station Agent at Webster, New York on the Hojack





Reminiscences about working on the Railroad

Webster Herald, April 20, 1983

   (Editor’s Note: The following article by Mrs. Ruth Ashley is excerpt from a letter written by Mrs. Ruth Ashley, who worked along the Hojack line from 1943 to 1955.)

   Some of my fondest memories of Webster are associated with my work  at the small stations along the old Hojack Line. I worked for the railroad from1943 until 1955. Webster was my favorite. I loved the community.

    I remember Dudley Tennant and Lacy Harris at the Tennant Feed Mill. They always had a cheery “Good Morning” for me. I can recall Russel Mason, of Webster Cold Storage. Witmer’s, the funny-looking truck the basket factory had, J. B. Frois, and a man from Smith & Lotze who was always wondering how a may could be so cheerful, considering the business he was in. I think the funeral parlors were in the same place as the furniture store is now.

   There were at least three station agents at different times.Ed Keenahan was one, and another was Ray Costich. He was one of my favorites. I think Art Morgan had worked there, but went to Union Hill because of illness. 

    There was always express to bill and ship out - flowers, household goods, books, clothes, fruit, etc. A can of glue was on hand for applying the bills. A yellow form was used for prepaid shipments and a white form for collect items.

   The big milk cans were always being sent out, and I would groan to myself, as they were heavy. Sometimes I had to pull them on an express wagon.

    The old telephone was on a long wire with an arm and had to be pulled toward me to use and then pushed back. It was used to block the trains. You rang the phone, got the next station, and set up the block. I pulled a lot of those things for east and west trains. Not bad after one gets used to it.

   The truck motor  cars were always coming and going, and I rode with them sometime because it was a unique experience.

   The dispatcher in Rochester would ring the phone to ask operators to copy “31” orders or “19” to direct trains or track motor cars to take the siding or go on to then next place. When I worked at Charlotte, I had to put the orders on a long stick, into a clamp, and try to get it to the engineer or fireman. Because I am short, it was quite a thing. 

    When we had checks and cash to send to Buffalo, it was put into a heavy brown envelope that had three places to be sealed with sealing wax. A metal stamp was applied to show the office from which the envelope had been sent. I liked doing that.

    I typed bills for the shipment of LCL freight, (that was Less than Carload Lots), and for hay, canned goods and perishable things from cold storage. I got to know about reefers (refrigerator cart), boxcars, gondolas, hoppers and flats. I did learn how to send and receive Morse Code. We sent reports on cars to “N” office in Rochester.  I was never good at it. I have an old key I bought from an antique dealer and still like it to tap out the sounds. 

   I learned to chop wood so I wouldn’t freeze and did learn to build fires in those old potbellied stoves. I remember the great clocks each station had.

  When the cars were loaded they had to be sealed.We had a book in which to keep a record of what number seal we used. They had to be bent, but not so far as to break them. When  I first started, all the engines were steam and it was great to see them arrive and leave. The diesel engines are not nearly as interesting.

   I had chances tho ride “The Head End”and watch the fireman stoke the furnace until it was red hot. I remember how he would call out the colors on the signals to the engineer would know if he should go slow if orange was on top, or stop if red was called, and move right along if it was green.

   I rode in the caboose sometimes. They look so interesting, but they are stark and not built for comfort. I would hate to ride from Charlotte to Oswego the way t he conductor and brakeman did. Once I climbed down from an engine at Lyell Avenue. I wish you could seen the looks on the faces of the drivers who were stopped there. It was real funny.

   One youngster came to the Fruitland Station with his dad, and he said “There is a girl in here.” I got that reaction lots of times, but I know a lot of ladies who worked on the road, too.

   As I got more seniority, I could get passes to ride trains out west. I had chances to go to California, Denver,  Chicago, New York, Boston and Canada. I always loved the Pullmans, and I loved the wonderful breakfasts served by smiling, white-jacketed waiters. Tables were always covered with snow-white tablecloths and decorated with a real rose in a silver or milk glass vase. To me, it was elegance personified. The good trains were a joy got ride.   I hate what has happened to the railroads. To call them Amtrak and Conrail doesn’t seem right. The symbols of each lime are still in my memory and always will be, I guess.  

   I am trying to collect some of the china, uniform buttons, signs and whatever I can find. I have menus, timetables and an emblem that says N.Y.C. 

                                                                         Ruth Ashley

   (Webster Through The Years Museum currently had a display of railroad memorabilia. Many the items were borrow from Mrs. Ashley. Knowledge of the Morse Code was one of Ruth’s job requirements. The museum exhibit includes her certificate, a telegraph key and a magazine illustration of the Morse alphabet. Caboose lanterns and dining car dishes are some of the other items being shown).

                  Webster station today   (Photo by John Stewart)